I see so many businesses are missing this basic marketing foundation. There is NO point in spending money on ads or SEO if you are not capturing visitor data.
This is where a Lead Magnet can help you.
A lead magnet is an incentive that marketers offer to potential buyers in exchange for their email address or other contact information.
Why you need one?
- Capture visitor information
- Know who is coming to your website
- They work to drive more awareness
- They help to build trust and credibility
- It can increase your list of potential customers
If done right, it will bring people into your sales funnel
What a lead magnet is NOT?
These are not lead magnets. They offer no incentive, value, or solutions to your clients.
- A brochure of your products or services
- A contact form
- Your newsletter
What does a lead magnet do?
- It is educational and can teach prospects something new
- It solves a pain point for them
- It has a high perceived value
- It provides instant gratification (we live in a want it now world)
- It needs to be engaging – you don’t want to put your prospects to sleep before they read it
- It should create quality leads -these are the clients you want to work. Quality beats quantity all the time
- It must provide value –it should offer valuable information and something new for the prospect
- It should show your expertise – can someone read it and clearly see you know what you are talking about and have the track record and experience they need to hire you.
I often project manage new website build. A client I worked with wanted a new website that would provide regular new business leads for them. I repeatedly told them they needed a lead magnet that appealed to their target audience (or one of them) that enabled them to capture leads.
They did not recognise the importance of this basic tactic and have not added one to their website, so they have no way of capturing leads. This will make it difficult to generate the amount of new business they expect. The lead magnet would’ve provided a tool on their website that aligned with their goal to generate leads. Lost opportunities and will lead to it not meeting expectations. As much as I can advise and offer advice, it is up to clients to listen and act on that advice.
Types of Lead magnets
There are loads of different types of lead magnets you can create. Here are some thought starters for you.
- PDF download (one of the most common)
- White paper / Fact Sheet
- Video series
- Free Audit
- Samples (if you have a product)
- Free training or webinar
- A trial of your product
In part 2 I will share the process to create a lead magnet and some bonus tips to help you succeed.