Clubhouse is an exclusive invitation-only social networking app based on audio chat that is a hybrid of conference calls, talkback radio and Houseparty
Users can listen in to conversations, interviews, and discussions between interesting people on various topics – it is just like tuning in to a podcast but live and with an added layer of exclusivity.
You can’t just download it off the app store and create an account. Much like a real-life country or yacht club, you have to be invited to join by an existing member. And it is currently only iOS.
When you join, you select topics of interest, like tech, books, business or health. The more information you give the app about your interests, the more conversation rooms and individuals the app will recommend you follow or join.
The conversation room is just like a conference call, but with some people on the call talking, and most listening in. And, just like a phone call, once the conversation is over, the room is closed. When over the live audio-chats had in conversation rooms disappear.
The current limit is 5,000 people per Clubhouse room.
It is not the same as a podcast as it is interactive, and you can raise your hand to be asked on stage to speak. There is no professional editing, sound effects or transitions like a podcast. It is live audio with people from anywhere in the world
How you can you use it as a business?
I am on Clubhouse under Childfree_Tanya and using it under one of my business brands. I have run a couple of Clubhouses with other childfree people and also participated in some. I have found them good for opening up my network and building a new audience. I also especially love being a thought leader and showcasing my expertise which is what Clubhouse is good for. It gives you your own stage!
Before you start using it, consider:
- what are your objectives?
- Is there a potential ideal audience on it for you?
- How do you want to position yourself / be known?
- What type of content & conversations do you want to have
- Is this about quality of conversation or quantity (and does that align with your strategy)
- How often will you use it?
- Can you use it to build a list, generate sales, or build your brand visibility?
- Are your competitors on there? (why not be the first in your industry)