What is one of the most common things you do each day and probably don’t even notice it? A clue it starts with S… It is the scroll. We are all scrolling through emails, social media, Google and in our quest to get what we want fast, something needs to jump out at us real damn fast before we will dare to click on it.
We have gotten worse at interacting with content as we are bombarded with so much that we have to filter through in order to connect with what is most relevant to us. Think about it. When you are in the market for a new house, what content jumps out at you, anything related to houses, right?
The same rings true with every other product or service businesses are buying. So, remember that you aren’t appealing to everyone on your feed, only the small amount that are in the market for your product or service at that particular time. Now, do you see why this stuff can be so hard?
As a marketer or business owner, stopping the scroll is now your number 1 challenge this year, particularly if you are working in the social space so where do you start?
- Know your audience – when are they online, what channels are they on? What are their pain points?
- Do your research – when you know your audience you understand what drives them, therefore you can start to research what
- What grabs your attention? When you are scrolling through your social media feed, what are the things that jump out at you? Video, great images, headlines….?
- What makes you stop scrolling and click? As per above, whatever grabs your attention, needs to do so long enough to make you read or engage then click on it
- What content can your brand create that jumps off the screen? You might already have content that can just be repurposed with a catchy headline or great image. If not, think about your content with your customer front of mind as it is all about them.
Your goal for 2018 is to stop the scroll. Do you have a real plan on how you are going to do this?